• 1981-83, visiting scientist in the Max-Planck Institute for Neurological Research in Cologne
• 1986-87, visiting scientist, one year in Kure City, Japan
• 1991, visiting scientist, half year in Toulouse (INSERM, France).
• between 1992-2017 chairman of the Department of Neurology at the University of Debrecen, Hungary, since 2017 professor of the Department of Neurology at the University of Debrecen.
• His comprehensive stroke center has performed more than 1300 iv. lysis on acute stroke patients and became an international clinical, educational and research center in the eastern part of Europe. More than 10 physicians from Germany, Netherland, Israel, Rumania, Ukraine spent years and received PhD on stroke topics (clinicopathological comparisons, neurosonological studies on stroke and stroke-risk patients) in his department.
• His department hosted two times the Stroke Summer Course of the European Stroke Organisation.
• He is the founder of Hungarian Neurosonological Society, honorary member of Austrian Stroke Society and previous president of the Hungarian Stroke Society, his mandate as chair of board of directors (Eur. Stroke Org.) ran out in 2016.
• visiting professor of Belgrade, Novi Sad Universities (Serbia), Cluj, Targu Mures Universities (Rumania), Israel Association of Neurology and honorary member of Austrian Stroke Society. Corresp. member of Deutsche Gesellschaft für Klinische Neurophysiologie und Funktionelle Bildgebung
• Editorial board member: “Neurosonology (Japan)” “Clinical Neurosciences” and associate editor of “Frontiers in Stroke”
• Between 2009 and 2013, he was the president of European Society of Neurosonology and Cerebral Hemodynamics.
• Between 2005-2010, as chair of European Cooperation Committee of the European Federation of Neurological Societies he introduced the regional teaching course system of EFNS in middle and eastern European countries.
• He published more than 340 papers on stroke, neurosonology and stroke risk diseases. Hirsch index:33 IF: 507, Citations:more than 7000
• He was awarded with the prize of European Stroke Conference, Eur. Neuroson. Soc. Cer. Hemodyn, Szentgyörgyi, Batthyány-Strattmann Prize (Ministry of Health), Francis Crick Award, and Lazarevics prize (Serbian Neurol Soc) for his activity in stroke care, education and research. The President of Hungarian Republic awarded him the Knight’s Cross of Republic (for outstanding educational and clinical work in the field of stroke).
• In 2020 the President of Hungarian Republic doanted him the Széchenyi Prize, the highest Hungarian award for scientific results (for outstanding clinical work in the field of stroke).
• Since 2016, he is the member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.